About the mill
About The House
The building is from the year 1900, and was originally a water mill. Miller lived not in the mill, but in the Miller's House, which is still a little down the road. Pelvic, which supplied water power for the mill, is the natural border between the mill and Lyngby. Click here to read about the history of the mill.
In 1951 the mill was converted into a residential. Although you can still find traces of the old mill in house decor, is the very mill-wheel away. Several of the old mill stones are used as base on a rock slope behind the house.
We bought Helved Forest Mill in december 2015 and have completed much of the interior renovation. While we renovated, we tried to find a balance between the spirit of the old mill, and modern comfort.. Behind the house is still the trickling brook as a relic from the water mill's heyday. Over the brook is a small bridge for easy access to the forest. We have many plans for our 1600 square meter property. In the long term, will the garden be laid out as a forest garden with shelter, Campfire and greenhouse, plus many more plants and trees.
Hell Forest mill Bed and Breakfast is located between the forest and the hell, which is a small village with around 70 inhabitants. The name Hell leads many to think of hell, but Hell is almost the opposite, for a beautiful small village with several historical houses. According to some sources, the name Hell has its origin in an ancient German dialect and means inspired the Holy forest. This “holy forest” is Copenhagen City, a 700 acre royal forest, located right outside our door. A short distance through the forest is the beach. From here there are views to the islands of Fyn, Drejø and Ærø at the other side of the little belt. The area offers good opportunities for various activities and to enjoy nature all year round.
Image of the mill – unknown year
From “The good old days of Augustenborg Municipality” published by Hans Lind in 1972.
Near the village of Helved close to Nørreskov forest sits Helved mill. The forgotten water mill. Its existence is forgotten by most, and the mill has been transformed into a cozy residence.. The mill originally obtained its energy from two ponds, Flæskdam and Bokmosedam. In order to ensure, that there was always adequate power in reserve, they built two mill ponds, one of which was in reserve, for when the flow from the other failed. As water power slowly disappeared, the mill added a steam engine. This steam engine, which was coal fired, was the cause of a fire in 1907. An igniter, or starting device, threw the fateful spark..
For several years there was brisk activity around the mill, which produced feed grain and flour, and sales were made by a wagon traveling from farm to farm. There is a story told about the miller's horse, that tells of how the the regns were not needed.; the horse was so used to the trip, that it could find it's own way..
During the 1. World War the mill was liked by the citizens, but frowned upon by the authorities; even though the sale of flour to private citizens was prohibited, the miller continued to sale to them throughout the war.
The mill has gone down in history, the ponds are grown to, now are heard only a slight trickle of water running through the forest.